- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken or turkey breast, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 pound smoked ham, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) reduced-sodium whole tomatoes, undrained, coarsely chopped
- 4 cans (15 ounces each) black beans or 6 cups cooked dry-packaged black beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 4 cups chopped kale
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 cups cooked rice, hot
Cook chicken and ham in oil over medium heat in large Dutch oven until chicken is cooked through, 5 to 8 minutes; remove from pan. Add onions, celery, and garlic to Dutch oven; saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
Return meats to Dutch oven; add tomatoes, beans, sage, oregano, cumin, and orange rind; heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until chicken is tender, about 10 minutes.
Stir in kale; simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over rice.