- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3 1-1/2-inch pieces of cinnamon stick
- 10 whole cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp. whole black peppercorns
- 3 dried red chilies
- 8 whole cardamom pods
- 8 chicken thighs, skinned
- 1 Tbsp. fresh, grated ginger
- salt to taste
- 1 14-oz. can coconut milk
Over high heat in a medium-sized heavy pot, heat the oil. Add the peppercorns, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and red chilies.
Stir until the cardamom darkens slightly. Add the ginger, give a few stirs and add the chicken and coconut milk. Salt very lightly. Add enough water to just cover the chicken pieces.
Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer and cook uncovered for 40 minutes. The sauce will have thickened slightly. Season to taste.