- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese (may use reduced-fat or no-fat) at room temperature
- 2 firm ripe medium peaches, nectarines or pears, peeled and coarsely chopped, divided
- OR 1 cup firm ripe whole blueberries, red or black raspberries, or blackberries, divided
- OR 1 cup sliced firm ripe strawberries, divided
- Sugar or light brown sugar to taste (optional)
- Several drops vanilla extract (optional)
- 4 unflavored bagels, each split in half, toasted if desired
In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Gradually add one-third of the peaches, nectarines, or pears or 1/2 cup of berries of choice, beating until fruit is well pulverized and blended with cream cheese.
Stir in remaining fruit of choice, mixing well. (Fruit spread may be stored in a container, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.) Stir in sugar and vanilla extract.
Use spread on toasted or untoasted bagel halves as desired.
May broil cheese-coated bagels, about 6 inches from heat source, for 3 to 4 minutes, or warm in a preheated slow oven (325 degrees F.) for 6 to 8 minutes, if desired.
Omit fresh fruit and add ½ to 1 cup coarsely chopped dates, raisins, dried sweet cherries, dried blueberries, or sweetened dried cranberries; or chopped nuts of choice; or a combination to cream cheese.