- 1 1/2 Cups of milk.
- 2 Cups of finely grated Cheddar cheese.
- 2 Medium Jalapeno Peppers, sliced and seeded.
- 2 Tabelspoons of vegetable shortening.
- 2 Tabelspoons of sugar.
- 2 teaspoons of salt.
- 1/3 Cup of warm water (105-115 degrees F).
- 2 packets of active dry yeast.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten.
- 6 1/2 Cups of sifted flour (about).
- 1 egg yolk beaten with 1 tabelspoon of cold water (glaze)
Heat the milk, cheese, shortening, sugar, and salt over medium heat, stirring until the cheese melts. Cool to lukewarm. Pour the warm water into a large, warmed bowl, sprinkle in the yeast, and stir to dissolve. Add the cooled cheese mixture, egg, jalapenos, and about three cups of flour and beat until smooth. Mix in enough of the remaining flour to make a firm dough and turn out onto a lightly flored board. Knead until elastic, about 5 to 8 minutes. Shape the dough into a ball and place in a greased bowl, turning to coat all over. Cover with a clean cloth and let rize in a warm, draft free place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
Punch down the dough and let rest, covered for 3-4 minutes and then divide the dough into half and shape the halfs into loafs. Place the loafs into greased 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pans. Cover and let rise again until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. Toward the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Brush the loafs with the glaze and bake 30 - 40 minutes until well browned and sound hollow when tapped. Turn out and cool on wire racks.