- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons ouzo or pernod
- 3/4 pounds potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, 2 cups
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes, drained
- 16 ounces clam juice, or 2 cups homemade fish stock
- 1 1/2 pound monkfish, membrane removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups spinach leaves, washed and torn
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, slivered, plus additional whole leaves, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, or to taste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add liqueur, potatoes, tomatoes and clam juice or fish stock. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until the potatoes are just tender, about 10 minutes.
Add monkfish. Return to a simmer and cook, covered, until the fish is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook until wilted, 2 minutes. Add slivered basil leaves, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Garnish with a few whole basil leaves and serve.