- 1 lb fresh spinach, stemmed OR 10 oz pkg frozen chopped spinach,
thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 sm onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 pint oysters, freshly shucked, liquor reserved
- 2 cup half-and-half or light cream
- 3 tablespoon Pernod
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated (or Romano)
- 1 1/2 tsp anise seed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper, freshly ground
- Lemon slices, for garnish
If using fresh spinach, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the spinach and cook until just wilted, 1 minute. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Squeeze as dry as possible. Place the fresh or frozen spinach in a food processor and turn the machine on and off until finely chopped.
In a large saucepan, heat 1/3 cup of the chicken stock over moderately high heat. Add the onion, garlic and celery and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining chicken stock, the oyster liquor and the spinach. Slowly add the half-and-half and mix well.
Simmer the soup for 8 minutes, stirring constantly to blend the flavors. Add the Pernod and cook for 2 minutes Stir in the cheese, anise seed, salt and pepper and simmer for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and add the oysters. Garnish each serving with a slice of lemon.