- 2 3/4 lbs. whole small squid, cleaned as directed for strips; or 2 lbs. cleaned mantles
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 3/4 cup regular-strength chicken broth
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 3/4 tsp sugar
- 1 medium-size red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into thin strips
- 2 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 2 or 3 kiwi, peeled and sliced
- watercress sprigs
If squid mantles are whole, cut each open with a sharp knife (left). Cut crosswise into 1 /2-inch-wide strips. In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan, combine wine, broth, garlic, and sugar; bring to a boil over high heat. Add squid; return to boil and poach until opaque, about 20 seconds.
Lift out with a slotted spoon; set aside. On high heat, boil liquid down to 2 cup, uncovered. Cover; chill liquid and squid separately. Blend liquid, squid, red bell pepper, oil, and pepper. Spoon onto a platter. Garnish with kiwi and watercress.